Tuesday, August 26, 2014

ARISE - Arrival Day

Yesterday, as I was running a couple errands before driving to Corvallis, I had a realization - it was a weekday and I wasn't at work.  It was a liberating peace that I haven't felt in a very long time.  Instead, I was on my way to Jasper, Oregon to begin 13-weeks of discipleship training at ARISE.  I was planning to get to the're as early as possible on Monday, move-in day, but as the morning progressed, the need to get there early waned; I wanted to spend more time with my nephew Beckham and catch up with Supriya and her parents, and of course, eat lots of home-cooked Indian food!  I was able to do both and still get settled into my new home by 9PM.

My roommate was already settled by the time I arrived.  She is from northern California.  Baptized just last weekend and only been attending church for about 8 months, she said she always felt she was a Christian, but only recently found her way to God.  She's had an interesting life and I look forward to getting to know her more.

Our room has two twin beds, two dressers, two closets and one long counter with a sink in the middle. It a nice room.  The girls next door to us have one twin bed and a bunk-bed so I'm thankful.  As I was packing I thought I was bringing too much and now that I'm here, I'm thankful I was able to bring what I did.  I'm determined not to have to buy anything except produce for the next three months.




The days are hot.  The expected temps this week - low 90s.  No AC in the dorm but the lobby stays fairly cool and the classroom has AC.  13 weeks seem so long but I know they will go fast.

No comments: