Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My Avocado Plant

It is hard to believe a little over a month has passed since I left Korea. I really miss my friends...and my avocado plant! I was first introduced to avocados in grade school. I wasn't a big fan of them plain, but put it on a wheat waffle with peanut butter and I could eat forever! For some reason, this combination garners slightly disgusted expressions from my friends. Anyway, along with eating avocados, people always talk about soaking the pit in water and growing the plant. I tried this many times with no luck, not even a little sprout. However, as soon as I found avocados at Costco in Korea, I decided to give it another go.

I started growing the plant some time last year. It was a rough beginning. I was ready to give up several times because nothing was happening to the pit for the first 3 months. But one day, I noticed a very thin crack along the side of the pit...this made me very hopeful. It felt like another month before the whole pit cracked with a little something in the middle, holding both sides together. A tiny sprout could be seen in this little something. I continued to change the water and keep it near sunlight and as the months passed, the roots began to sprout. It is amazing how quickly the plant started to grow after the roots were several inches long.

This picture is what my plant looked like when I left. I gave my plant to my friend Susan, who's mom is a total green thumb. I'm hoping the next time I see it, the plant will have grown stronger. It is very possible that it could bear fruit but not sure if Korean weather is ideal for that. I guess only time will tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

11

Anonymous said...

Your Avocado plant is growing very well..You know. My mom is professional.Mom put some white flowers in the vase so looks prettier.I'm afraid I can't take a pic of it and show you right now. I didn't get a camera yet.
I moved aside from the previous seat.I'm so happy for that I don't need to worry about the funky smell and 경선's sigh deeply anymore. I've got only one chocolate from a coworker yesterday. I hope you've got some from cool guys. miss u laura~~ sujung

Unknown said...

Cool! I've been sort of obsessed with avocados lately. I just eat them sprinkled with a little sea salt and pepper. Or as guacamole. Mmmm.