Thursday, March 1, 2007

Day 4: March Snow

Check it out...Today is March 1st and about 1-2 inches of snow around the house. The snow and hail started last night but luckily we did not get too much. Areas north and east of us got a lot more. There was even a 60-car accident about 40 minutes east of Seattle...craziness!

So I went to Day 2 of jury duty. It was nice that we only had to be there by 8:45 instead of 8. Like yesterday, they called the first group after everyone had checked in. Only about half the room was full compared to yesterday. I sat, pen ready to write my number, listening for my name. They were calling 45 names...41 names later, my name was called...Juror 42. I didn't know how the court would go about selecting the 13 but having now sat through the process, it is very interesting. As someone from the first 13 (who sit in the jury box) is dismissed, the next person in line (Juror 14) takes the empty seat. This process continues until both sides are satisfied with the 13 members in the box. Considering each side is only allowed 7 peremptory challenges, I think I was pretty safe from not making the box. I guess if more people were dismissed due to hardship, I could have made it...but that would have meant more than half the group leaving. The jury was selected by noon so those on the benches were dismissed for lunch.

Lunch was nice. I met June and we had pho (fuh) in Pioneer Square. I really like pho...hot broth, vegetables, noodles, basil, sprouts and tofu...I love tofu!

So after lunch and returning to the jury room, sat and waited. Apparently two cases were up but both settled or weren't going to go to trial today so we were dismissed again at 2!!!

Hmmm, writing about pho makes me want more pho.

Let it snow, let it snow!

No comments: